Everyone who was married should keep a copy of their marriage records in a safe and convenient place. If you are one of the many people who are trying to track down a loved one or who is looking to see where their family tree stems from, than marriage records are also a vital part of adding branched to your family tree. If you or someone you know was married in the state of New York and wish to obtain a copy of the marriage records, there are a few things you may find helpful. It is also important to know the guidelines that have been put into place and that need to be followed when writing to gather information about vital records and documents such as marriage records.
Guidelines to Writing into a County Clerk for Marriage Records:
A lot of people who are in search of marriage records may not live in the county where the marriage was held, or even the state. If you live in New York, or are writing to a New York County clerk in search of marriage records, here are a few helpful tips that will help you along you way and should make your search a lot easier.
1. One of the most important things to remember when writing a letter to obtain important information is to make the letter, clear, concise and to the point. Officials are receiving countless letters every day and do not wish to read lengthy, wordy letters.
2. Do not include more than one or two requests at once – this will cause your letter to get pushed to the back of the pile, as it will require a lot more work that other letters that are being received. If you need a lot of information, try and priorities what is the most important and ask for those items first. If you find out a maiden name and location, you may be able to gather the rest of the information you are seeking on your own or through the county clerks
3. Make sure to include as accurate and complete information as you can find. If you are searching where a certain person was married, include their first name, middle name, last name, maiden name and even nicknames.
4. Providing a self addressed envelope will ensure you do receive the search results and usually speed up the process.
5. Be courteous. The county clerks office is swamped and has limited hep, so it does go a long way with the workers when they are treated with respect and given the proper courtesy.
What to include when you write for a copy of a marriage record:
- full name of husband (last name in caps)
- full maiden name of wife (last name in caps)
- date of marriage
- place of marriage
- relationship to party
- the reason the record is needed
- the person who is making the request needs to include their name and address.
- the person who is making the request will may need to include their driver’s license number and state which provided the drivers license – not required in all counties
- signature of the person who is making the request.
free marriage record, free marriage records, Marriage Record in New York, Marriage Record of New York, marriage record search, marriage records, New York Marriage Record, public marriage, Public Marriage Record, Public Marriage Record Search, Public Marriage Records